Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart


Portfolio Project Concept Refinement

Fall 2020 OLD / FIRST PITCH

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Magazine  

  Coronavirus is the general topic. 

·       Subtopic would be high school sports.  

Genre 

Highschool sports  

Target Audience (Be specific) 

Overall general audience: no specific audience due to this issue or coronavirus is affecting everyone in many ways.  

·       Athletes: will be projecting towards athletes considering its about them.  

·       Coaches: same thing as the parents how their season has been affected and any advice.  

·       Parents: how covid has not only affect their child but themselves. 

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

·       Interview coaches and players  

·       Looking at the impact of covid from the perspective of players, coaches, and parents’ viewpoints.  

·       Look at the overall impact the sport they play has on them whether this is their senior year or what not. 

·        These interviews will be a revelation for everyone bringing lots of emotions into play especially for the seniors who are being interview. 

·       Looking at it from a captain point of view for the team any advice they have to the younger athletes and how covid has affected them.  

·       Giving the overall concept to the audience how for some athletes this is all that is left for them or their one big shot to make it or break it.  

·       Athletes and coaches expressing their pride they have for their school and this team.  

  

Main characters: 

-        Athletes specifically seniors 

-        Coaches  

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

With personally being involved in sports covid has affect me dramatically not only with my sports but also my senior life. So, looking at this not only at an athlete’s perspective but also it being my senior year with coronavirus affecting all of us hits home. With this magazine the ideas will correlate with each other due to all the athletes at this high school have been affected by coronavirus and this not only includes our sport seasons but also our school year.  

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

-        Deals with issues you see in today's magazine (coronavirus)  

-        Looking at firsthand accounts of how this virus has affected and athlete personally and coaches' experiences  

-        Will also be looking at how their senior season has been  

-        Will be using an emotional appeal to the reader/ audience  

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

-        Coaches 

-        Athletes  

-        Parents 

-        School administration  

-        Alumni  

-        Truly anyone involved in the high school  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

-        Need to look at the bigger picture and find an overall issue 

-        Too specific  

-        Need to sit down with my partner to gain a better understanding of my purpose for this subject/project  

-        FIND THE BIGGER PICTURE 

-        Figure out what is going to be in my advertisements and cover story!!! 

  

  

 
 

 
 

Fall 2020  

NEW UPDATED: 

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Magazine “Guide to growing up” or making the right decisions.  

Genre 

Highschool sports transitioning to college.  

Target Audience (Be specific) 

-        Coaches: preparing their athletes to be at the level they need to be to play college varsity sports  

-        Students: trying to maximize or gain all the knowledge they can  

-        Parents; whose children are athletes and are pushing for the “next level “for their children. 

-        College recruiters or programs  

-        Sports administration or sport departments must deal with getting their athletes as much resources as they can give   

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

The overall concept of the magazine is giving these high school athletes advantages and insights on the “next level” or college varsity sports. Within my magazine I be looking at what schools offer the best team for each specific sport and looking at these programs in a deeper level. We also enlighten our readers by looking at the diverse types of colleges for sports but more specifically the requirements to play for a team at these colleges: Division 1, Division 2, Division 3, community college and 4-year universitiesWhen it comes to getting accepted to play at the community college level or even Division 2-3, we will be looking at what it takes to leave this level and proceed to a Division one at a 2- or 4-year university. To add a little spice, we will be looking at how the requirements in rules and conducts have changed specifically the ones that have affected these high school athletes the most. For instance, one example of this is how they have pushed back the pre-season practice and conditioning dates giving athletes less time on the field. A factor we might incorporate is hearing first handedly from these athletes and coaches in an interview simply about topics such as: what it takes, how their season has been affected, if they honestly believe they have what it takes to continue their athletic and academic careers at the next level etc.  

  

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

I wanted to stay in the sports arena due to my background knowledge and interests when discussing sports, so this was a win for that concept. During our discussion she was trying to help me see the bigger image or what my overall project would be looking at. After conceiving this idea for my magazine, I began my research and was shocked with what I found. Based off the website “Scholarships Stats” it stated that little over 7% of high school athletes or 1 one 13 ends up playing sports in college and less than 25 of these high school athletes play at a Division one schools. With looking at these statistics it just demonstrates how these student athletes honestly believe that they will continuing their athletic career to the next level such as colleges, yet they do not have what it takes. This correlates with why I chose to do this type of magazine because it will people such as athletes the support, they need to reach their “goals” or the “next level.”  

  

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

 I believe that this magazine will be unique because it pertains to the serious high school athletes wanting to play at a college level going to play somewhere. This is important because as an athlete who would love to play at the next level, I do not have what it takes because I was not given these types of opportunities and insights. This magazine will also look at the variety of factors that not only influence the student athletes but also the perspectives of the athlete when choosing the “right” college for their sport. 

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

  

I believe that this project will be an interest to my projected audience because it specifically pertains to high school athletes rather than other aged athletes. The magazine will not only give insights about college sport systems but also these young adults transferring from high school to college. The magazine will be looking at the perspective of all female and male sports in high school so it will give the audience a wide variety and does not just pertain to one specific sport.  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

No feedback the record because we reconstructed our project.  

 
 

no peer -review  

 
 

        Walking into class the day I presentedI thought I had the best idea for my project and was all set to carry out the final project… I was completely wrong. After presenting my project with my partner we only received feedback from our peers, and it truly was the rude awakening I personally needed. The feedback I was given consisted of not being specific enough, needing to find the bigger picture, figuring out what my advertisements would be or cover story. After I pitched my concept for my magazine, I received little feedback, but it made me see that I need to truly sit down and figure out the bigger picture. My pitch that I presented was clearly not through. As a result, I had to redo my whole pitch and conceptsAnother piece of feedback I received from my classmates was that that the whole purpose for the magazine is to sell to bigger companies in a sense to get my product out there.

 According to the article Reach of popular magazines in the United States in June 2019, stated “As of 2015, it had a circulation of almost 2.14 million copies, the vast majority of which were sold through its subscription services.” This information is important because it demonstrates the main goal of publishing this magazine is to maximize the subscriptions and fully give the audience their money's worth. After hearing everyone is pitches, I began to realize that the bigger picture for picking a magazine over doing a film would be the competitiveness within this industry. This conclusion correlates with the article U.S Magazine Industry – Statistics & Facts states “Although competition is becoming more and more fierce, the total number of magazine readers in the U.S. has actually seen a slight increase since 2012.” As a continuation of this competitiveness found within this identifying the tools that are essential to fully be able to compete with other companies writing about the same topic you are. From the U.S Magazine Industry – Statistics & Facts concluded that “But in a competitive landscape, equally important is building the right technology stack to keep your organization lean and efficient.”   

I went home that evening and the following class period to think about my overall presentation and the project I pitched. I quickly realized that what was expected of not only for my project but also as a group during the first pitch I was supposed to present to the class. 

 

While reading the article The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A CONVERSATION WITH SIX BLACK EDITORS, I realized that I was looking through the lens of my project. I am presenting of the voices that do not get heard. Specifically, in the project I will be presenting I will be shining a light on high school athletes who are in a demand for the information I will be presenting and guidance to those. In the article it states, “I just want to publish work that feeds positivity and strength and goodness to people who for some reason--a good reason, no doubt--seek out books.” After reading this sentence, I concluded that the purpose of producing a voice for those who do not have one is important especially with how it is produced for others to hear. “As editors we are charged with shepherding new ways of seeing, thinking, and being into the world.,” this sentence that the author wrote in her article demonstrates to the readers or viewers to develop their understanding of their visions or their role for what they are publishing. This idea correlates with how I am developing my understanding for why I chose the project or concepts I did. 

Comments